Accuracy of iPad Emulation??

Greg Low

11 Jul, 2013 07:16 AM

Hi Folks,

I've been using Electric Mobile Studio for a while and I'm concerned that it feels like another platform that I'm testing against, instead of emulating an iPad. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing.

For example, if you hit our site: http://www.sqldownunder.com in an iPad or iPhone, it looks completely different to what happens on the Electric Plum emulator for both. The main issue is that the real devices seem to auto-scale the width of the site and the emulator doesn't. Is there something I'm missing?

I really like the idea of the product, just wish I felt that I could use it properly.

Regards,

Greg

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Shaun Sullivan on 11 Jul, 2013 05:00 PM

At this time, the product does not auto-scale. The main use case is for testing sites that are using responsive design or other techniques to dynamically change their layout based on the device, or web apps using jQuery Mobile etc.

2. 2 Posted by Kevin Cocquyt on 31 Jul, 2013 08:13 AM

Hello there,

I was also wondering how accurate the Ipad simulation is. I installed the trial version and tested our design (http://www.natcheurope.com) to see if our top-menu was displayed correctly. Everything looks fine on the simulator but when I use Safari on an actual device, the padding on each menu-item appears to be too big, putting our Twitter bird on the next line. I solved it with decreasing the padding between the items from 29px to 25px (which solved the issue) but it isn't very reassuring to use Electric Plum as THE way to properly test my design.

Kind regards,
    Kevin

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Shaun Sullivan on 01 Aug, 2013 02:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback. We are working hard on an even higher fidelity engine for our next version, but the current one does a very good job in the majority of cases. Sometimes nuances in the typography and fonts available on the desktop can cause these pixel differences, and if they occur at a break it’s exacerbated.

Shaun

4. 4 Posted by billk63 on 07 Aug, 2013 10:16 PM

Hi Greg,
    In my experience there is no guarantee that emulators are 100% the same as the real device. You will often have to use other supporting test platforms, like Safari developer. The emulators are still great, particularly with the debugging features and they do help enormously. They are also good for quick demonstrations.

Regards
    Bill

5. 5 Posted by Jim Brown on 15 Nov, 2013 01:01 PM

My MVC 4 website banner renders differently on the simulator than on all the IPAD devices I've tried it on. How can I use this to develop? Disappointed.

6. 6 Posted by mike on 23 Jan, 2014 08:43 PM

The header section of our website www.teasha.fr is completly truncated on the real Ipad but displays faultlessly on the simulator.... V Disappointed

7. 7 Posted by XRumerTest on 29 May, 2014 05:30 AM

Hello. And Bye.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

16 Oct, 2021 02:38 PM
06 Oct, 2021 05:12 AM
20 Sep, 2021 04:14 PM