Windows 8.1 install/activation issues

Dave Shaver

17 Oct, 2014 01:53 PM

I'm a licensed user trying to move to a new VM.

Installed Mobile Studio 2012 v1.1.4 on very clean 8.1 VM; fully patched. Rebooted; disabled Windows Firewall.

Upon start-up, message appears "Unable to connect to database".
Clicking "OK" leads to another pop-up, "Unexpected initialization error: No connection associated with this command."
Clicking "OK" leads to screen to license product
Clicking "Continue Trial>>" has window appear that says "Communicating with server" and then "Unexpected initialization error: No connection associated with this command."
Clicking "OK" leads to... death. No further screens appear.
Thinking permission issues, after reboot attempted same thing via "Run As Administrator" with identical results.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Shaun Sullivan on 17 Oct, 2014 02:15 PM

Try

1. Uninstall
    2. Delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Electric Plum\Electric Mobile Studio
    2012 directory
    3. Run install as admin
    4. Run Studio as admin

2. 2 Posted by Dave Shaver on 17 Oct, 2014 03:04 PM

Thanks for quick reply; still no joy.

Started with a fresh VM clone that had never seen Mobile Studio install
    Disable Windows Firewall
    Ran installer as Admin
    Ran Mobile Studio as Admin
    Same result -- exact same set of windows appear in same sequence

FWIW, I'm on a 64-bit windows 8.1.

Other thoughts/next steps?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Shaun Sullivan on 17 Oct, 2014 04:07 PM

Strange.

That fail is happening when it is trying to open a SQLite database (for
    preferences etc).

That database is located
    at c:\users\[YOUR_WINDOWS_USER_NAME]\AppData\Local\com.electricplum.ems\ems.s3db

Do you see that file? Maybe try deleting it and re-running the mobile
    studio (it should create a new one there).

Sorry for the trouble, I haven't seen this one (running 8.1 here on a VM
    too)

Shaun

4. 4 Posted by Dave Shaver on 22 Oct, 2014 02:30 PM

I attempted another install; same set-up with a clean, fully-patched, 64-bit W8.1 Enterprise; windows firewall disabled; ran installer as Administrator).

Before running Mobile Studio the first time, I confirmed that there was no database in any of by AppData directories.

Upon first run, I see the empty folder C:\Users\Corepoint Demo\AppData\Local\com.electricplum.ems get created and immediately I get the pop-up that says, "Unable to connect to database."

At no time do I see the database file appear in the folder.

Checking the permissions on the created folder, I see that all users have Full Control (confirmed with "View effective access").

Next steps? I'm at a loss here and would appreciate help.

PS: Not that it matters, but I assume the issue here is that the software licensing protection you've chosen to place on your software (Sentinel EMS?) is not working. You might imagine that is rather frustrating to a paying customer.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Shaun Sullivan on 22 Oct, 2014 03:00 PM

Strange. We have not seen this from any other customers. This has nothing to do with software protection (I don’t even know what Sentinel EMS is LOL).

It is possible that there is something conflicting with whatevever image “Corepoint Demo” is? Could you try on a machine without that image?

Here is one manual step we can try:

Copy the file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electric Plum\Electric Mobile Studio 2012\data\ems.s3db to C:\Users\Corepoint Demo\AppData\Local\com.electricplum.ems

Shaun

6. 6 Posted by Dave Shaver on 22 Oct, 2014 03:12 PM

"Corepoint Demo" is just the default user's name on this install of Windows -- pretend it says "Bob Smith" :-) So I'm unsure what you're suggesting about trying on a non-conflicting image.

I appreciate the suggested manual step. However, I don't have a 'data' folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electric Plum\Electric Mobile Studio 2012.

FWIW, I can use this same image and install other applications.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Shaun Sullivan on 22 Oct, 2014 03:31 PM

>> "Corepoint Demo" is just the default user's name on this install of Windows -- pretend it says "Bob Smith" :-) So I'm unsure what you're suggesting about trying on a non-conflicting image.

I understand that. When I saw CorePoint, I thought maybe the company (I recognize the name) had something that conflicted. Just thinking out loud since you are the only user with this issue.

>> I appreciate the suggested manual step. However, I don't have a 'data' folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electric Plum\Electric Mobile Studio 2012.

It doesn’t go in a ‘data’ folder. It goes in the exact folder I included in my last response.

Shaun

8. 8 Posted by Dave Shaver on 22 Oct, 2014 03:45 PM

Sorry I was not clear; I'll again.

I have this folder on my machine: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electric Plum\Electric Mobile Studio 2012

I do not have this folder on my machine: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electric Plum\Electric Mobile Studio 2012\data\

Thus, there is no file named C:\Program Files (x86)\Electric Plum\Electric Mobile Studio 2012\data\ems.s3db that I can copy.

Creating an empty folder named C:\Program Files (x86)\Electric Plum\Electric Mobile Studio 2012\data did not cause the file to appear (thinking maybe your .exe would create it.)

I wonder if we have an install issue? I could not find an installer log in %temp%.

9. 9 Posted by Dave Shaver on 22 Oct, 2014 04:43 PM

In related news, I've poked in an attempt to get your setup.exe to respond to typical command line options but no joy.

1) Does the install builder you used provide a way for me to request either extraction of the MSI file (so I can generate a log) or 2) a way to specify that I want a log created so we can see if there are install issues?

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Shaun Sullivan on 22 Oct, 2014 04:46 PM

Maybe it's a rights issue with the install. It shouldn't be an issue, or
    I'd get hundreds of folks with this issue.

I packaged another install that only writes to ..\AppData.

1. Uninstall EMS 2012 and remove any artifacts
    2. Download this install and accept all defaults
    http://www.electricplum.com/ems_v114f_setup.zip

Let me know if that works.

11. 11 Posted by Dave Shaver on 22 Oct, 2014 05:07 PM

You nailed it; this has resolved my start-up issue. My W8.1 Enterprise VM is very vanilla; not in a domain so all group policies are stock. Fully patched up. What data can I provide to see if I'm 'unusual' or just the first one with this issue?

Now in related news, I'm fighting Activation as I have exceeded my two machine activation limit. Sigh. I booted an older W7 VM and deactivated Mobile Studio there and confirmed that when restarted Mobile Studio it thinks that it is NOT activated. I've waited 10 minutes, rebooted my new W8.1 VM, and still can not activate. My key is ES-Q2B6-GFE6-YCLR-K2BS-PWD1; can I obtain more activations?

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Shaun Sullivan on 22 Oct, 2014 05:15 PM

No problem, I just need your order number (STxxxxxx).

Shaun

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

16 Oct, 2021 02:38 PM
06 Oct, 2021 05:12 AM
20 Sep, 2021 04:14 PM